Bill Granger recipe: Espresso granita
Sunday 26 January 2014
Make sure you keep servings small or the caffeine will have you bouncing off the walls. Taste the coffee after adding the sugar and adjust the sweetness to your taste. It should taste sweeter than you would drink it, as the sweetness will mellow once frozen.
750ml freshly made espresso or strong coffee
100g demerara sugar
Whipped cream, to serve
Coffee beans, chopped, to serve
Sweeten the hot coffee with the demerara sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool. Freeze for about 2 hours, or until it is solid around the edge and slushy in the middle.
Use a fork to stir the outside crystals into the centre. Return to the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes.
Remove and repeat the stirring process, continuing to do this every half hour or so until the whole mix is in evenly sized crystals.
Serve the granita in cups, topped with whipped cream and crushed coffee beans.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...