Bill Granger recipe: Fennel, black olive and prosciutto gratin
Serves 4 as a main or 6 as a side dish
Sunday 24 November 2013
I can't get enough of fennel at the moment, be it raw and crunchy in a salad or cooked until meltingly tender as in this gratin.
3 large fennel bulbs
1 large onion, sliced
375ml hot chicken stock
60g pitted black olives, torn
75g chunky fresh breadcrumbs
3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
1 garlic clove, crushed
2tbsp olive oil
6 slices prosciutto
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. Layer the fennel and onion in a large gratin dish. Melt the butter in the hot stock then pour over the vegetables. Bake for an hour until golden and tender.
Increase the oven temperature to 220C/425F/Gas7.
Combine the olives, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, chilli, garlic and olive oil in a bowl and season with salt.
Lay slices of prosciutto over the fennel gratin, scatter with the breadcrumb mixture and return to the oven.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Life & Style blogs
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
Stevia wonder: The plant that's a super sugar alternative – and free from calories and carbs
International Women's Day 2014: Google makes 80 second video of inspirational women from across the world for animated Doodle
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry
iJobs Food & Drink
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...