Bill Granger recipe: Kimchi
Makes about 1kg
Sunday 09 March 2014
This is such a straightforward recipe. The result tastes fresher than most kimchi, which is just the way I like it. Even so, store it in the fridge in a well-sealed container to avoid neighbours gossiping about the pungent smell coming from your place.
80g coarse sea salt
80g soft brown sugar
1 head garlic, cloves chopped
5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 tsp kochukaru (Korean chilli powder, available in Asian stores)
80ml fish sauce
80ml light soy sauce
Cut the cabbage lengthwise in half, then cut the halves crosswise into 1in-wide pieces. Toss the cabbage with the salt and sugar in a bowl. Cover and sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Drain the cabbage and rinse quickly in cold running water to remove the excess salt. Combine the garlic, ginger, kochukaru, fish sauce and soy sauce in a large bowl.
Spoon into an airtight container, cover, and refrigerate for two days before using. Keep for maximum of two weeks.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...