Bill Granger recipe: Korean sticky barbecue marinade
Makes enough for 1kg ribs or meat for 4 people
Sunday 13 July 2014
I love using this marinade on pork or beef short ribs, chicken wings or simply thinly sliced beef, as shown above, ready to be skewered.
The kiwi in the marinade tenderises the meat beautifully and, once on the grill, the sauce caramelises into smoky, sticky deliciousness.
100ml soy sauce
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 ripe kiwi, peeled and grated
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 spring onions, sliced
2cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. To use, place your meat in a large container and toss through the marinade.
Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours, ideally overnight, turning the meat a couple of times.
Before cooking, lift out the meat and brush off any excess. Slow-cook the ribs in a roasting tin covered with foil for 1½ hours at 160C, before uncovering and caramelising under the grill or on a barbecue.
For skewers or thin steaks, barbecue, oven-grill or flash-fry in a pan over a high heat.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Scottish salmon sales leap as Asia develops a taste
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore disappears over Java Sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...