Bill Granger recipe: Linguine with mussels in tomato sauce
Sunday 19 January 2014
This is so enticing and works just as well with clams, prawns or really good-quality tinned tuna in olive oil.
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
375g linguine pasta
500g mussels, beards removed and washed
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions over a medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and chilli and stir for 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes, season with sea salt and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Cook the linguine in a pan of salted boiling water, according to packet instructions.
When there are 3 minutes of the cooking time remaining, take a ladleful of the pasta's cooking water and add to the tomato sauce.
Bring the sauce to the boil, add the mussels and cook, stirring, until the mussels have opened.
Drain the linguine and toss into the sauce, over the heat, until the pasta is well coated. Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil.
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
http://www.nyxcosmetics.co.uk/" width="88" height="52" />Black Friday 2014: Best beauty deals
New generation of hi-tech planes lead race to resurrect supersonic air travel
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion the Largest Independent Motor...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...
£45000 - £52000 per annum + bonus+bens : Investigo: My client, a global leader...