Bill Granger recipe: Parsley, fennel and spinach soup
Sunday 16 February 2014
This is such a lovely, perfumed combination – sweet fennel, earthy parsley and spinach then lots of fresh toppings to add vitality and zing. This soup is also lovely served chilled on a warm day.
125g flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
12 fennel bulbs, chopped, fronds reserved
11 onion, chopped
12 garlic cloves, crushed
1750g chicken stock
1200g baby spinach
Grated zest 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of its juice
14 tbsp ricotta
1Crushed dried chillies, to serve
Separate the parsley leaves from the stalks. Chop half the parsley stalks and discard the rest. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped fennel, onion and parsley stalks and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Cook for 8 minutes, until softened, add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil then tip in the parsley leaves and spinach. Stir until wilted then blend with a hand-held blender, or tip into a blender or food processor.
Whizz, then return to the pan. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and check the seasoning. Gently reheat, ladle into bowls and top with ricotta, a grating of lemon zest, the reserved fennel fronds and a little dried chilli.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...