Bill Granger recipe: Prawns with lemon-grass-and-chilli salt
Sunday 20 July 2014
This is a foolproof dish that requires minimum effort. I've never been one for sit-down starters, instead preferring to let friends get their hands dirty with "interactive" nibbles while I finish the main. Just make sure there are plenty of napkins handy.
Nuoc cham sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red chilli, chopped
1 tbsp caster sugar
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fish sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
1 lemon-grass stalk, chopped
1 tsp chilli flakes
Grated zest 1 lime
3 tbsp sea salt
1kg raw king prawns
2 tbsp light-flavoured oil
Nuoc cham (see recipe above)
Limes, to serve
Pound the lemon grass, chilli, lime zest and sea salt with a pestle and mortar, until finely ground. Place in a small bowl and set aside. k
Toss the prawns and oil in a large bowl to coat. Pre-heat a barbecue or a large griddle to high. Cook the prawns for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Serve with the lemon-grass-and-chilli salt, nuoc cham dipping sauce, and some limes, then leave everyone to peel their own prawns and add their preferred flavours.
Life & Style blogs
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
Londoners agree to give up first-born child in exchange for free internet
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
FireChat: The internet-free messaging app that's sweeping the world
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...