Bill Granger recipe: Rhubarb and kaffir-lime crumble
Sunday 09 February 2014
The kaffir-lime leaf adds an unexpected perfumed twist to what is otherwise a pretty classic recipe. You can now get them in supermarkets, but if yours doesn't stock them, grate in the zest of a lime instead. Whatever you do, don't use those dreadful dried lime leaves sold with the spices.
1kg rhubarb, cut into 5 cm lengths
200g soft brown sugar
Grated zest and juice 1 orange
2 fresh kaffir-lime leaves
2 cm ginger, grated
115g plain flour
100g rolled oats
Handful macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
Pouring cream or vanilla ice-cream, to serve.
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. Put the rhubarb, half the sugar, the orange zest and juice, kaffir-lime leaves and ginger into an ovenproof dish. Stir well to combine and bake for 20 minutes, until the rhubarb has started to soften.
Place the remaining sugar, the flour and butter into a bowl and rub the mixture between your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the oats and nuts and scatter over the rhubarb, pushing the topping down, into the fruit. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve with pouring cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...