Bill Granger recipe: Rhubarb and kaffir-lime crumble
Sunday 09 February 2014
The kaffir-lime leaf adds an unexpected perfumed twist to what is otherwise a pretty classic recipe. You can now get them in supermarkets, but if yours doesn't stock them, grate in the zest of a lime instead. Whatever you do, don't use those dreadful dried lime leaves sold with the spices.
1kg rhubarb, cut into 5 cm lengths
200g soft brown sugar
Grated zest and juice 1 orange
2 fresh kaffir-lime leaves
2 cm ginger, grated
115g plain flour
100g rolled oats
Handful macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
Pouring cream or vanilla ice-cream, to serve.
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. Put the rhubarb, half the sugar, the orange zest and juice, kaffir-lime leaves and ginger into an ovenproof dish. Stir well to combine and bake for 20 minutes, until the rhubarb has started to soften.
Place the remaining sugar, the flour and butter into a bowl and rub the mixture between your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the oats and nuts and scatter over the rhubarb, pushing the topping down, into the fruit. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve with pouring cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...