Bill Granger recipe: Smoked mackerel, puy lentil and parsley salad
Sunday 16 February 2014
When I'm in a real hurry, I've been known to use sachets of cooked puy lentils for this salad. I know, it sounds ridiculously lazy, but we all have those days, don't we?
200g puy lentils
1Juice and grated zest ½ lemon
11 garlic clove, crushed
13 tbsp olive oil
11 tbsp capers
12 banana shallots, finely sliced
11 tsp caster sugar
1Large bunch parsley, leaves only
15 radishes, finely sliced
1300g smoked mackerel, skinned and broken into large flakes
Put the lentils in a pan and cover generously with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes, until al dente. Drain and tip into a large bowl.
Add the lemon zest, garlic, olive oil and capers and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl and toss through the shallots. Set aside.
When the lentils are almost at room temperature, toss through the parsley, radishes and shallots. Gently fold through the mackerel and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Licence fee: What is the BBC charge – and how will the changes affect you?
- 3 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced Hotel Receptionists...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Qualified Lifeguards are required to join a fa...