Bill Granger recipe: Steamed mussels with chorizo and saffron
Sunday 19 January 2014
The Spanish love for pairing seafood with salty cured meats is one that I fully embrace. Make sure you have plenty of spare paper napkins at the table – it's going to get messy!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 pinches saffron
200g chorizo, peeled and cut into chunks
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1kg mussels, beards removed and washed
250ml dry sherry or white wine
Handful parsley leaves
Toasted crusty bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the onion and saffron and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the chorizo and garlic and cook until both turn golden.
Tip in the mussels, sherry or white wine and season with ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and steam for 3 minutes, or until the mussels open.
Top with the parsley leaves and serve with toasted bread with which to mop up the juices.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 The way the police have treated Cliff Richard is completely unacceptable
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
- 4 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 5 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...