Bill Granger recipe: Steamed mussels with chorizo and saffron
Sunday 19 January 2014
The Spanish love for pairing seafood with salty cured meats is one that I fully embrace. Make sure you have plenty of spare paper napkins at the table – it's going to get messy!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 pinches saffron
200g chorizo, peeled and cut into chunks
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1kg mussels, beards removed and washed
250ml dry sherry or white wine
Handful parsley leaves
Toasted crusty bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the onion and saffron and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the chorizo and garlic and cook until both turn golden.
Tip in the mussels, sherry or white wine and season with ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and steam for 3 minutes, or until the mussels open.
Top with the parsley leaves and serve with toasted bread with which to mop up the juices.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassing leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...