Bill Granger recipe: Steamed mussels with chorizo and saffron
Sunday 19 January 2014
The Spanish love for pairing seafood with salty cured meats is one that I fully embrace. Make sure you have plenty of spare paper napkins at the table – it's going to get messy!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 pinches saffron
200g chorizo, peeled and cut into chunks
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1kg mussels, beards removed and washed
250ml dry sherry or white wine
Handful parsley leaves
Toasted crusty bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the onion and saffron and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the chorizo and garlic and cook until both turn golden.
Tip in the mussels, sherry or white wine and season with ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and steam for 3 minutes, or until the mussels open.
Top with the parsley leaves and serve with toasted bread with which to mop up the juices.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public can visit police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Vagina canoe artist facing two years in jail defends herself over ‘obscenity’ charges
- 5 The Queen’s speech 2014: Recap and Twitter reaction to Game of Thrones reference
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...