Bill Granger's Gyudon
Sunday 15 September 2013
This is possibly one of the easiest weekday meals you can make. Make sure you take the time to slice the beef as thinly as possible, for the loveliest, tenderest result.
1 large white onion, cut into wedges
250ml/8fl oz light, good-quality chicken stock
3 tbsp caster sugar
125ml/4fl oz sake
125ml/4fl oz mirin
125ml/4fl oz soy sauce
3 cm ginger, grated
1 x 600g/1¼lb thick-cut fillet steak, very thinly sliced
Steamed Japanese rice
Wilted baby spinach
Shredded spring onion
Place the onions in a pan. Pour in the stock and simmer for 5 minutes, until softened slightly. Stir in the sugar, sake, mirin, soy and ginger and simmer for 3 minutes. Drop in the sliced beef and simmer for 1 minute, until just cooked. Set aside for 1 minute.
Place rice into 4 serving bowls. Top with wilted spinach and some of the beef and onions and ladle over some of the hot broth. Scatter with spring onions and serve.
educationTo mark International Women's Day, Sarah Brown on how charities have brought proper joined-up thinking to the delivery of education
Life & Style blogs
The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
Microsoft's Cortana (the rival to Apple's Siri) leaked online
Private school refuses to readmit anorexic pupil because her presence would be 'too disruptive to the rest of the year group,' mother claims
'It's brusquely intimate': A bereaved daughter tackles the task of emptying her father's flat
Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Sir Patrick Stewart patches into David Cameron and Barack Obama's Ukraine talks with packet of wet wipes
- 4 Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
- 5 Man stabbed with Legend of Zelda Master Sword in serious condition
iJobs Food & Drink
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £16000 retainer & uncapped commission: Flight Cent...