Bill Granger's Gyudon
Sunday 15 September 2013
This is possibly one of the easiest weekday meals you can make. Make sure you take the time to slice the beef as thinly as possible, for the loveliest, tenderest result.
1 large white onion, cut into wedges
250ml/8fl oz light, good-quality chicken stock
3 tbsp caster sugar
125ml/4fl oz sake
125ml/4fl oz mirin
125ml/4fl oz soy sauce
3 cm ginger, grated
1 x 600g/1¼lb thick-cut fillet steak, very thinly sliced
Steamed Japanese rice
Wilted baby spinach
Shredded spring onion
Place the onions in a pan. Pour in the stock and simmer for 5 minutes, until softened slightly. Stir in the sugar, sake, mirin, soy and ginger and simmer for 3 minutes. Drop in the sliced beef and simmer for 1 minute, until just cooked. Set aside for 1 minute.
Place rice into 4 serving bowls. Top with wilted spinach and some of the beef and onions and ladle over some of the hot broth. Scatter with spring onions and serve.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Life & Style blogs
- 1 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 2 Turning up the voice of America
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...