Sunday 28 February 2010
200g/7oz softened unsalted butter
350g/111/2oz icing sugar
Zest and juice of 2 unwaxed blood oranges
3 unwaxed blood oranges, to decorate the top of the cake
Use the recipe for the chocolate cake to the left to make the sponges, but substitute the cocoa powder with the zest of two blood oranges. Bake in exactly the same way as for the chocolate cake.
Place the softened butter into a bowl and sift over the icing sugar, pour in the orange juice and beat together really well.
When the sponges are cool, spread each layer with the icing and sandwich together. Finally, ice the sides. Refrigerate in order to set the icing.
Wash and pat dry the three remaining oranges and slice as finely as you can – you will need a sharp small knife to do this. Arrange in layers over the top just before serving.
Life & Style blogs
American Apparel makes 15-year-old YouTube star Brendan Jordan the face of its new campaign
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy nurse who killed herself in a Swiss clinic accused of doing it for 'publicity'
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
- 1 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-driver is missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
iJobs Food & Drink
Circa £26,500 DOE: Guru Careers: An International Project Coordinator / Accoun...
£25k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Plumber / Mainten...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...