Blueberries with zabaglione
This is a British version of the classic Italian dessert of eggs, sugar, and wine beaten to a frothy mousse; I've used perry here instead of Marsala. In posh restaurants zabaglione was traditionally made in front of you at the table. If you have a portable gas burner and a nice copper bowl and want to show off to your dinner guests, you could try it at home – but not if I'll be held responsible.
For the zabaglione
4 medium egg yolks
5tbsp caster sugar
A third of a vanilla pod, split and the seeds scraped out
To make the zabaglione, put the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla seeds in a round-bottomed steel or Pyrex bowl (not aluminium or it may go a nice grey colour). Beat well with a whisk for 2-3 minutes then mix in the Marsala.
Hold the bowl with a cloth and f rest it over a pan containing 3-4cm of simmering water. Whisk continuously for a few minutes (use an electric whisk if you prefer) until the mixture is thick and frothy.
To serve, put the blueberries in bowls or plates and pour over the warm zabaglione.
Life & Style blogs
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name in favour of its Lumia brand
Fake goats’ cheese found in supermarkets
Alternatives to cow’s milk can cause Vitamin D deficiency
Handy hacks that make life easier: New book reveals how to rid your inbox of spam, protect your passwords and amplify your iPhone
St Bees in Cumbria named best place to raise a family in the UK
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...