Sunday 29 May 2011
1kg/2lb ripe, sweet cherries
400ml/14fl oz good-quality brandy, such as an aged apple brandy
125g/4oz caster sugar
120ml/4fl oz water
Remove the stems, wash the cherries, and lay them out to dry on a clean cloth.
Pour the brandy into a small saucepan and add the sugar and water.
Heat gently to dissolve the sugar and warm the liquor.
Pack the cherries loosely into a large, sterilised jar.
Pour the brandy over the cherries, making sure the fruit is totally submerged in the alcohol.
Seal and store in a cool dark place for a week to allow the flavours to develop, then store in the fridge.
To serve, gently warm in a pan then spoon over vanilla ice-cream.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Bio-engineering vaginas not about peach smell, company says, but making them healthier
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
Tinder dating app being used more and more by middle-aged mums and dads
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
iJobs Food & Drink
£50000 - £55000 per annum: Investigo: A growing group of top end restaurants l...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...