Bratwurst with wild garlic mash and mustard sauce
I do love bratwurst. They are generally made of pork, veal or both and these days you can find them in good supermarkets and specialist food shops.
A little oil for brushing
A handful of wild garlic, roughly chopped
4 servings of good buttery mash
For the mustard sauce
A good knob of butter
2 medium shallots, peeled, halved and finely chopped
2tbsp white wine
1tbsp wholegrain mustard
1tsp Dijon mustard
100ml beef stock
60ml double cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
First make the sauce. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and gently cook the shallots for a minute, add the wine, mustards and beef stock and simmer until it's reduced by two thirds, then add the cream and continue simmering until the sauce thickens; season to taste and keep warm.
Meanwhile, preheat a grill, score the bratwurst about 4 or 5 times (not too deep), brush with oil and grill for 4-5 minutes under a medium grill.
While the sausages are cooking, add the wild garlic to the mashed potato and heat on a low temperature until the wild garlic wilts.
To serve, spoon the mashed potato in the centre of warmed serving plates, place the bratwurst on top and spoon the sauce around.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...