Bratwurst with wild garlic mash and mustard sauce
I do love bratwurst. They are generally made of pork, veal or both and these days you can find them in good supermarkets and specialist food shops.
A little oil for brushing
A handful of wild garlic, roughly chopped
4 servings of good buttery mash
For the mustard sauce
A good knob of butter
2 medium shallots, peeled, halved and finely chopped
2tbsp white wine
1tbsp wholegrain mustard
1tsp Dijon mustard
100ml beef stock
60ml double cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
First make the sauce. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and gently cook the shallots for a minute, add the wine, mustards and beef stock and simmer until it's reduced by two thirds, then add the cream and continue simmering until the sauce thickens; season to taste and keep warm.
Meanwhile, preheat a grill, score the bratwurst about 4 or 5 times (not too deep), brush with oil and grill for 4-5 minutes under a medium grill.
While the sausages are cooking, add the wild garlic to the mashed potato and heat on a low temperature until the wild garlic wilts.
To serve, spoon the mashed potato in the centre of warmed serving plates, place the bratwurst on top and spoon the sauce around.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...