Carrots with fennel seeds, oregano and mint
Sunday 04 January 2009
This sharp, sweet dish is delicious eaten with slow-cooked meats, but is equally good on its own. Its warm, tangy flavour is vibrant and very moreish.
8 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into one-inch chunks
80ml/3fl oz Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
40ml/2fl oz sherry vinegar
The juice of half a lemon
1 tsp sweet paprika
A good pinch of sea salt
1 bunch of mint, leaves only, chopped roughly
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp fennel seeds, roasted and ground in a pestle and mortar
Place the carrots in a saucepan with just enough cold water to cover. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat slightly and cook for around 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender but still retain a little bite.
Drain and, while warm, add the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, paprika and a pinch of salt. Stir well to combine, now add the mint, oregano and fennel seeds.
Stir again and adjust the seasoning if needed. Set aside for 10 minutes or so to allow the flavours to get to know one another. Serve at room temperature.
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
Anti-depressants can change how the brain works in just hours
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
The 'Angelina Jolie effect': Her mastectomy revelation doubled NHS breast cancer testing referrals
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...