Celebrity square meals: Agnes Oaks' ballerina's cheesecake
Makes plenty to share with friends
Saturday 15 October 2005
This cheesecake is something that I can eat - I came up with the recipe myself. It uses quark, a low-fat cheese that's big in Estonia, where I come from.
I also have a friend who's diabetic, so I often make it with sweetener rather than sugar, bringing the calorie count down even lower. Either way, it's still delicious, and a good recipe to know if you're on a diet.
200g reduced-fat oaty biscuits
60g butter or margarine
4 x 250g tubs of quark
3 large eggs
1tsp vanilla essence
1 handful of raisins
Half a lemon
Pre-heat oven to 170C/ gas mark 3. Melt the butter and crush the biscuits, then mix together. Take a deep, loose-bottomed cake tin - 20cm across - and press the biscuit on to the bottom to make a flat base. Into a bowl, add the eggs, quark, sugar, vanilla essence, the fruity liqueur and the zest and juice of half a lemon. Beat them until smooth, thick and creamy, then stir in the raisins. Pour on to the base and smooth the top. Bake it for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and leave it in there for 2 hours, then put it in the fridge overnight. How you top it is up to you. I like it with mangoes or kiwis. And whipped cream.
Agnes Oaks plays Aurora in the English National Ballet's production of 'The Sleeping Beauty', starting on Thursday in Southampton (02380 711811), then Bristol, Oxford, Manchester and Liverpool (visit www.ballet.org.uk)
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
iJobs Food & Drink
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...
£30K- £35K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...