Celebrity square meals: Maggot from Welsh rappers Goldie Lookin' Chain - Pan-fried Welsh lamb steak
Saturday 10 June 2006
Pan-fried Welsh lamb steak
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Zest of a lemon (the bigger and riper the lemon, the better!)
200g leg of Welsh lamb steak (with bright red meat and a good marbling of fat)
120g potatoes (charlotte potatoes are by far the tastiest)
50g leeks (look for a healthy green colour - buy locally for the freshest produce)
Handful of rosemary
Finely chop the rosemary then mix with the garlic purée, lemon zest and a generous amount coarse sea salt. Rub this mixture into both sides of the lamb steak.
Boil the potatoes, leave to cool then cut into quarters. Wash and finely chop the leeks. Heat a frying pan, add a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. As the meat touches the pan, turn the heat down and cook through. Do this for 5-6 minutes then repeat on the other side.
Remove lamb from the pan, add some butter followed by the leeks. Cook until soft and then add the potatoes. Remove the rosemary leaves from their stalks and add to the potatoes. Press the potatoes down with the back of spoon so that they are just smashed. Add the cream and season with black pepper and salt.
For mint sauce, mix 2-3 tbsps of freshly chopped mint with one dessert spoon of caster sugar and 125ml balsamic vinegar.
June is Everyman's Awareness month, raising the profile of male cancer; visit www.icr.ac.uk/everyman. Goldie Lookin' Chain will be headlining Escape In the Park in Swansea next Saturday
Life & Style blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...