You can serve this with meat or fish and even as a vegetarian main course.
1 head of celery, root removed and stems and leaves washed
300ml hot milk
250ml double cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150g mature cheddar, grated
60g fresh white breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Remove the leaves from the celery and then cut the stems into approximately ½cm-thick slices.
Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil and blanch the celery for 3 minutes, then drain and mix with the leaves.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan, stir in the flour then gradually whisk in the hot milk. Bring to the boil, season and simmer for 5 minutes then add the double cream and simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 120g of the grated cheese, plus the celery and leaves and transfer to an oven-proof serving dish.
Bake for 20 minutes, then mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs, scatter over the top of the gratin and continue cooking for another 15–20 minutes, until browned.
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: how to banish the demon from your Facebook and Twitter news feed
World first as scientists use cold sore virus to attack cancer cells
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
'Paracetamol Challenge': Police and teachers issue warning to parents over social media craze
Self-parking Volvo ploughs into journalists after owner neglects to pay for extra feature that stops cars crashing into people
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 3 Priest warns pupils the 'Charlie Charlie Challenge' is 'demonic activity'
- 4 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
- 5 US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or 'war will be inevitable'
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...