Crumbles aren't just for autumn and winter – fruits such as cherries or even firmer berries such as blackcurrants and blueberries (as they come into season) make a light, fresh crumble. I quite like adding a few nuts and seeds to a crumble topping, as it adds both texture and flavour.
400g cherries, stoned
3tbsp caster sugar
For the topping
80g cold butter, cut into small pieces
160g plain flour
90g soft brown sugar
60-80g shelled nuts such as walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, coarsely chopped
3tbsp pumpkin seeds
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Mix the cherries with the sugar in an ovenproof dish, cover and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
Rub the butter and flour together to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Add the sugar and other topping ingredients; mix well.
Remove fruit mixture from the oven and scatter the topping over the fruit. Bake for 30-40 minutes until nicely coloured. Serve with thick cream or custard.
Life & Style blogs
Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
Health warning over 88,000 foreign doctors working in the NHS
Childhood bullying 'can lead to depression and unemployment in adulthood'
Baby catches deadly meningitis infection from cat
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...