Cherry tomato, mozzarella and Greek basil sandwich
I never used to be a great fan of cherry tomatoes – but over the years I've found myself popping them in my basket, as often they are so much sweeter than some of their bland, larger cousins.
I've also been buying up those little pots of Greek or bush basil from my supermarket, as their tiny, pungent leaves are great for dishes such as this, as well as soups and salads. I always have a few pots on the go in the garden in Dorset and London and they just continue growing into lovely bushes throughout the summer.
30 or so cherry tomatoes
2-3tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
200g good-quality mozzarella, at room temperature
A handful of bush or Greek basil
4 slices of focaccia
Heat a tablespoon of the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the tomatoes, season; cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, rolling them around in the pan as they are cooking; transfer to a plate.
Toast the focaccia or cook on a griddle pan brushed with olive oil.
Arrange the tomatoes on the bread, tear the mozzarella on top, season, spoon a little oil on; scatter over the sprigs of basil.
Life & Style blogs
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.