Chicken and shaved asparagus salad
2-4 chicken thighs
Chicken stock, to cover
6 stems of asparagus, cooked in boiling salted water for a minute and refreshed under cold water
100g Asian salad leaves and herbs such as Thai basil, coriander, mizuna, mustard leaf, mint etc
3 spring onions, finely shredded on the angle
For the dressing
Juice of 1 kaffir or ordinary lime
1tbsp rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
4tbsp ground nut oil
tbsp finely chopped fresh lemon grass
tbsp finely chopped galangal or root ginger
mild red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the chicken thighs in a pan and cover with stock, season, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes; leave to cool in the liquid unless you are in a hurry.
Slice the asparagus thinly on the slant. Cut the cucumber into 4cm lengths, cut into thin slices around the seeds in the centre and shred the slices into matchstick-like pieces; discard the seeds.
Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred.
To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients together and season. Mix all the other ingredients together and mix with the dressing. Arrange on plates and serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...