Chicken livers with roasted artichokes and balsamic vinegar
Sunday 06 March 2011
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A splash of extra-virgin olive oil
600g/1¼lb very fresh chicken livers – look for those that are pale in colour, as their flavour is gentler
A generous knob of unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp chopped rosemary leaves
1 cup of full-bodied red wine
1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
6 slices of grilled bread
Scrub the artichokes well under running water. Cut into quarters and place in a saucepan of cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and place over a medium heat. Bring the water to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain in a colander.
Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. Toss the artichokes in a little olive oil and roast in the oven until soft, sticky and golden. Remove and set aside.
Prepare the chicken livers by removing the attached membrane. Place a pan on the stove over a high flame. Once the pan is hot, add the butter and allow it to foam. Add the chicken livers, garlic and rosemary, cook for a minute, then add the wine. Allow to bubble and reduce to almost nothing. Place the artichokes in the pan to warm through, then finish with the balsamic and a final knob of butter.
Taste and season – it is best with a good grinding of black pepper. Spoon on to warm plates and serve with the grilled bread if so desired.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...