Chilled peaches, raspberries and strawberries with rose syrup
Sunday 01 August 2010
At this time of year, this is my very favourite dessert that we make at the restaurant – clean, clean flavours that are clear and ethereal, the rose syrup adding a sweetness that reminds me of some not-quite-placeable lolly from my childhood. This shouldn't be served with anything else at all – you wouldn't want to risk diluting its delicacy.
6 very ripe, sweet, fragrant peaches
300g/10oz strawberries, hulled
5 level tbsp icing sugar
11/2tbsp rose syrup
A tiny pinch of salt
Rinse the fruit and slice the strawberries in half. Set aside. Tear the peaches roughly and place in a wide saucepan with the icing sugar.
Place over a gentle heat and cook, stirring from time to time, until the sugar has dissolved and the peaches have softened very slightly. This should take no more than 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Once the peaches are tepid, stir in the strawberries, raspberries, rose syrup and salt. Allow to cool to room temperature then chill in the freezer for an hour. Serve on cool plates.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...