Chocolate and fig scones
Sunday 27 January 2013
I'm not a fan of using lots of specialised baking equipment – mostly because I don't like a cluttered kitchen. In the past I've suggested people use a wine glass to shape their scones into rounds – until someone wrote me an email saying that the glass shattered. Well, that's one piece of advice I won't be giving again… So, scone wedges it is.
350g/11½oz self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
85g/3¼oz butter, diced
50g/2oz demerara sugar, plus 1 tbsp
100g/3½oz plain chocolate, roughly chopped
6 ready-to-eat dried figs, roughly chopped
200g/7oz natural yoghurt
75ml/3fl oz milk
Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7. Put the flour, baking powder and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
Tip the mix into a bowl, fold through the chocolate and figs then quickly work in the yoghurt and 3 tbsp of milk to make a soft dough.
Tip out on to a lightly floured surface, knead briefly. Form into a 20cm circle. Cut into 8 segments, pull the segments out and transfer to a lined baking sheet. Brush each with a little milk and sprinkle with the extra sugar. Cook for 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Serve warm.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Bus...
£16000 - £27000 per annum + Commission + Award-Winning Benefits): Flight Centr...