Chocolate mousse with roasted quinces
Sunday 24 October 2010
330g/11oz good-quality dark chocolate (min 64 per cent cocoa solids), in pieces
8 eggs, separated
100g/31/2oz caster sugar
Pinch of sea salt
Prepare the quinces as per the first recipe (see related links).
Melt the chocolate slowly in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks and half the sugar together in a bowl until pale and thick. Slowly incorporate the melted chocolate.
In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form, then gradually whisk in the remaining sugar.
Carefully fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, a third at a time, until evenly combined.
Pour into a large bowl, cover and place in the fridge to set.
To serve, spoon the chocolate mousse on to plates and serve with the roasted quinces.
Life & Style blogs
The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
From criminal to catwalk: Convict Jeremy Meeks wins modelling contract in the most unusual fashion scouting – behind bars
Prostate cancer could actually be five different diseases, say scientists
NHS treatments such as vasectomies and hip operations to be rationed because of cost-cutting
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
- 2 Model's video shoot on the beach interrupted by sudden landing of a group of illegal migrants
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 MH370: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
- 5 'Killer robots' with AI must be banned, urge Stephen Hawking, Noam Chomsky and thousands of others in open letter
iJobs Food & Drink
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Product Manager / Product Owner is required to jo...
£25k plus Benefits: Guru Careers: A Carpenter and Maintenance Operator is need...
£17600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum cares for one of the largest...
£12500 - £24500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Drivers wanted for a family run...