Chorizo, spinach and grilled king scallop
Serves 4 as a starter
If you have a good fishmonger near you ask him to order you the biggest scallops he can get his hands on; otherwise just serve two or three smaller ones as a starter.
4 jumbo scallops, shucked and cleaned
100-150g cooking chorizo, skins removed and finely chopped
A couple of good knobs of butter
300-400g spinach, washed and dried
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a large frying pan and gently cook the chorizo for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spinach, season and cook on a medium heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until it has wilted.
Meanwhile, heat a ribbed griddle pan or heavy frying pan, season the scallops and cook for 2 minutes or so on each side, keeping them slightly undercooked.
To serve, spoon the spinach mixture on to warmed serving plates (you may need to drain it on kitchen paper if it has released some water); place the scallops on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Bus...
£16000 - £27000 per annum + Commission + Award-Winning Benefits): Flight Centr...