This is a classic consommé that I learnt in my college days. At home, no one can really be bothered to go to the trouble of making a clear soup, but if you use the simple method in the recipe above you'll find it considerably easier. Julienne is a culinary term for finely-shredding vegetables into matchstick-like pieces which you can do on a mandolin or by cutting with a very sharp knife.
The stock from above
1 medium carrot, peeled, trimmed and cut into 3cm-long matchstick strips
A couple of sticks of celery, peeled if necessary and cut into 3cm-long matchstick strips
1 small or half a leek cut into 3cm-long matchstick strips and washed
The two chicken thighs from above, finely shredded
Bring the stock to the boil, add the vegetables and simmer for a minute or so until just cooked, then add the chicken and serve.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...