Saturday 22 January 2011
Sweetcorn is one of my favourite foods in tins. It's always sweet and flavoursome, vibrant yellow and has a bit of bite to it. Corn chowder is a great American brunch dish. A large bowl with some crusty bread makes a welcome lunchtime meal on its own. You can modify chowders and add all sorts of things from crab meat to smoked haddock – the idea is really to be as hearty as possible
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
4 rashers of rindless, smoked, streaky bacon, chopped into rough 1cm squares
1tsp tomato purée
1.2litre hot chicken stock
1 x 250g can of sweetcorn
1 large potato, peeled and cut into rough 1cm cubes
2tbsp chopped parsley
60ml double cream
Gently cook the onion, garlic and bacon in the butter for 4-5 minutes until soft. Stir in the flour and the tomato purée and cook on a low heat for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the hot chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the sweetcorn and potatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove about one-fifth of the soup from the pan; blend until smooth.
Return to the pan with the cream and parsley and simmer for 5 minutes. Check the seasoning and re-season if necessary. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...