Crab salad with fennel
Sunday 15 August 2010
What's nicer than dressed crab on toast?
600g hand-picked white crab meat
60ml/2fl oz mayonnaise, preferably home made
The juice of half a lemon, to be divided between the crab and fennel
1 bulb of fennel, finely sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
It is probably better to pre-order the crab from your fishmonger as they do not always keep it in stock. He will also cook and pick the crab meat for you if the idea seems too daunting.
Gently pick over the crab meat with your fingers, for it is highly likely that there will be one or two little pieces of shell left in. Place in a bowl and add the mayonnaise, squeeze over a few drops of lemon juice and season lightly with the salt and pepper. Fold the mayonnaise in gently so that it is thoroughly incorporated.
Slice the fennel as finely as possible, having first removed the fibrous outer coating. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle over a little olive oil and a little lemon juice, then toss together. Pile the crab on to a plate and place the dressed fennel alongside. Serve with plenty of warm toast.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6S price: new handset to remain as expensive, Apple unlikely to increase phones' storage
A daily walk 'can add seven years to your life'
Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
Every hospital patient will be given a barcode as part of plan to create a 'paper free' NHS
No, a porn star wasn't tricked into performing a sex act on her brother
- 1 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 David De Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper's £29m move to Real Madrid off - because paperwork 'not done in time'
- 3 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 4 A Chinese journalist has appeared on state television 'confessing' to causing the stock market chaos
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...