Cranberry and red onion sauce
This is a slightly more savoury version of the sweet cranberry sauce that we have become accustomed to in this country. The red onions and orange juice take the edge off the cranberries – and it makes a great accompaniment for turkey, goose or game.
1 large red onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
250ml orange juice
150-200g Demerara sugar
250g cranberries, fresh or frozen
Gently cook the red onion in the vegetable oil for a couple of minutes until soft, add the orange juice and 150g of the sugar and simmer until it has reduced by half.
Add the cranberries; continue simmering for about 10-12 minutes until the cranberries begin to break up.
Stir in more sugar if necessary; remove from heat; leave to cool.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
- 1 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 The Gaza fisherman who built his own reef - and was shot dead there by an Israeli gunboat
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...