Creamed onion soup with cider and Blue Monday
Saturday 13 November 2010
5 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1tsp chopped thyme leaves
1tbsp vegetable oil
A couple of good knobs of butter
100ml dry cider
1 ltr vegetable stock or a good stock cube
2tbsp double cream
80g Blue Monday cheese
In a thick-bottomed pan, gently cook the onions and the thyme in the vegetable oil until they are soft, making sure that they don't colour, with the lid on for about 10 minutes, and stirring them every so often.
Add the butter and flour and stir on a low heat for a minute or so.
Slowly add the cider, stirring constantly, then gradually add the vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour.
To serve, break the Blue Monday into small pieces, add the cream to the soup and bring back to the boil, then scatter the Blue Monday on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 'Natural' energy drink banned for containing erectile dysfunction drug
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 How We Met: Alison Moyet & Emma Kennedy: 'I knew we'd be friends because she was happy to make a prat of herself'
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...