Sunday 10 October 2010
Made with a simple custard base, this is a wonderfully coloured and sharp autumn ice-cream. It is best to use an ice-cream maker, but if you don't have one, simply place in a container in the freezer, stirring from time to time to prevent icicle particles from forming.
For the damsons, use the same quantities/method as for the steamed pudding recipe.
450ml/16fl oz double cream
350ml/12fl oz whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
120g/4fl oz caster sugar
6 organic free-range egg yolks
Place the cream, milk and vanilla pod into a heavy-based pan and place over a gentle heat. Cook for five minutes then remove from the heat and set aside for 20 minutes, allowing the vanilla to infuse the milk.
Place the sugar and yolks into a bowl and, using a whisk, beat until the yolks are pale and thick. Pour the still-warm milk over the yolk-and-sugar mixture, stirring as you do so. Return the custard to the saucepan and place over the lowest heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir the custard continuously using a figure-of-eight motion until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. This will take a little time, so you need to be patient.
Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl immediately and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the damson syrup and place into an ice-cream maker, then follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...