Sunday 10 October 2010
Made with a simple custard base, this is a wonderfully coloured and sharp autumn ice-cream. It is best to use an ice-cream maker, but if you don't have one, simply place in a container in the freezer, stirring from time to time to prevent icicle particles from forming.
For the damsons, use the same quantities/method as for the steamed pudding recipe.
450ml/16fl oz double cream
350ml/12fl oz whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
120g/4fl oz caster sugar
6 organic free-range egg yolks
Place the cream, milk and vanilla pod into a heavy-based pan and place over a gentle heat. Cook for five minutes then remove from the heat and set aside for 20 minutes, allowing the vanilla to infuse the milk.
Place the sugar and yolks into a bowl and, using a whisk, beat until the yolks are pale and thick. Pour the still-warm milk over the yolk-and-sugar mixture, stirring as you do so. Return the custard to the saucepan and place over the lowest heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir the custard continuously using a figure-of-eight motion until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. This will take a little time, so you need to be patient.
Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl immediately and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the damson syrup and place into an ice-cream maker, then follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...