Deep-fried courgette shoestrings
Sunday 31 July 2011
Here I have served these irresistible little batons with simply roasted wild sea bass – but they are also lovely just on their own.
375g/12oz plain flour
250ml/8fl oz olive oil
250ml/8fl oz water
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 egg whites, whisked into stiff peaks
Pre-heat your deep fryer to 180C/350F (or carefully warm vegetable oil in a heavy-based pan) and start making the batter. Sift the flour and place in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the oil and half the water. Whisk to combine until it is a thick, smooth batter. Add the rest of the water, paprika and a little salt, and fold in the egg whites. Store in the fridge until ready to use (the batter will sit happily for a few hours).
Now wash and dry the courgettes and cut them in half. Slice finely lengthwise and then into fine matchsticks. Place into a mixing bowl and pour a little of the batter over them. Toss together lightly with your fingertips to coat all the batons.
Fry in batches until golden-brown, then drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve while hot and crunchy.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...