Sunday 13 March 2011
This recipe is Persian in origin and was given to me by my friend Greg Malouf.Found in his beautiful book Saraban (Hardie Grant Books, £30), it is the perfect way to eat fruit when not in season. All the dried fruit used in this recipe should be fairly easy to find in Middle Eastern stores or any good health-food shop or delicatessen.
For the syrup
250g/8oz caster sugar
250ml/8fl oz water
2 cinnamon sticks
6 cardamom pods
The peel of one orange
The peel of one lime
1 thumb of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
12 dried figs
cup golden raisins
6 Medjool dates
6 dried pears
75g/3oz shelled walnuts
Combine the sugar and water over a medium heat in a heavy-based pan, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves, then add the spices and citrus peel, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Add the ginger and dried fruit and walnuts. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. Once cool, place in the fridge. It will keep well refridgerated for a week or so.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Common antibiotic linked to increased risk of heart disease
Karl Lagerfeld shoots Eurovision winner Conchita Wurst in suspenders for fashion shoot
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...