Duck fillet and blood orange salad
These are often sold as mini-fillets and can be real bargains. What's more, they are completely fat-free.
8 or 12 duck mini-fillets
A little vegetable or corn oil for frying
A couple of good handfuls of salad leaves and herbs like rocket, land cress, watercress, flat parsley, washed and dried
2 blood oranges, peeled and segmented (reserve the juice)
For the dressing
The juice from the blood orange
4tbsp rapeseed oil
1tbsp cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
First make the dressing: put the blood orange juice in a small saucepan and simmer until you have about half a tablespoon or so. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the cider vinegar and rapeseed oil and season to taste.
Put the duck fillets between a couple of sheets of clingfilm or a cut freezer bag and bash them into thin escalopes.
Heat a lightly oiled, heavy frying pan or ribbed griddle.
Season the duck fillets and cook them for only about 20 seconds on each side, then remove from the heat and cut them in half.
To serve, mix the duck, orange segments and leaves with the dressing, season to taste and arrange on serving plates.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...