Makes 25 small cakes
For the sponge
400g/13oz softened, unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
400g/13oz caster sugar
400g/13oz self-raising flour
For the filling
150ml/5fl oz double cream
A dollop of jam of your choice per cake
Icing sugar, for dusting
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Place the butter, vanilla extract and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs lightly in a separate bowl and slowly pour into the butter mix. If the mixture begins to curdle, simply add a little of the flour. Once the eggs and sugar have been mixed well, slowly fold in the flour a little at a time.
Place about 25 paper cupcake cases on a baking tray and fill halfway with the sponge mixture (it will rise). Place in the hot oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Test the sponge is cooked by inserting a small sharp knife into one of the cakes. It should come out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
For the filling, whip the cream. Using a sharp knife, remove a small circle of sponge from the top of the cakes. Slice the circle in half and fill the hole with a small spoonful of jam and cream. Place the wings on top and dust generously with the icing sugar.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
The 10 Best new smartphones
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle, say health officials
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...