Figs in red wine
Sunday 13 March 2011
At the restaurant, we serve these soft, boozy figs with cheese. For me they work best alongside semi-hard cheeses such as pecorino or wedges of aged and crystallised Parmesan. Once in a while I also like to serve them alongside a soft and creamy Gorgonzola dolce.
750ml/1¼ pints full-bodied red wine
500g/1lb dried figs
3 fresh bay leaves
2 tbsp caster sugar
The peel of one orange
Pour the wine into a medium-sized, heavy-based pan. Place over a medium heat and bring to a simmer.
Add the figs, bay, sugar and orange peel and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat. And allow to cool. Spoon into sterilised jars and place in the fridge.
Before using, remove from the fridge and allow to return to room temperature.
These figs will last for up to a month in the fridge.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eculizumab: 'The £10m-per-patient NHS drug gave me my life back’
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...