Fish, mixed grilled with samphire
Saturday 07 June 2008
When you have plenty of fish at hand it's rather nice to dish up a mixed grill. Rather like a meaty mixed grill, you can mix and match according to what the fishermen land or what the fishmonger has that takes your fancy. You can dish up a mixture of fish and shellfish for a dramatic look and contrast of colours. It's great in a restaurant because it means you can constantly turn your stock of fish around.
4 scallops, cleaned and left attached to the half shell
4 small or 2 large red mullet
Another fish like brill, plaice, mackerel or whatever takes your fancy
A spoonful or so of corn or vegetable oil for brushing
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful or two of samphire, trimmed of any woody stalks
Pre-heat a griddle or barbecue, season and brush the fish with a little oil. Grill the fish for a few minutes on each side, and the scallops for just a couple of minutes, flesh side facing the grill.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a saucepan and toss the samphire in it for a minute or so. Arrange all of the fish on a platter and spoon the butter and samphire on top.
Life & Style blogs
Melanoma rates in the UK are up five times on the 1970s
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
How dementia is changing me: My battle with an ever-shifting identity
The 10 Best kitchen knives
It’s a pizza! And a cake!! What’s not to like? (The calories)
- 1 Disabled people are trapped in assessment 'nightmare' by PIP benefits regime, says Dr Stephen Duckworth
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...