Fried egg with leeks and prawns
This is a great dish to serve for a celebratory breakfast or brunch – or you could also present it as a simple and delicious dinner-party starter. You can use ducks' or hens' eggs for this, or even a double egg as a light main dish.
12 or so young or baby leeks, trimmed
4 ducks' or hens' eggs
1tbsp olive oil
120-150g prawns, cooked and peeled
1tbsp chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the leeks in boiling salted water for a few minutes until tender, and then drain them in a colander. Once cool enough to handle, cut them in half or into three if they are long.
Fry the eggs in the olive oil and season the whites while they are cooking. Slide them out on to warmed serving plates.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a pan and toss in the prawns, leeks and parsley until they are hot. Season and spoon around the egg white.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...