Makes 12 scones
Sunday 17 May 2009
45g/2oz lightly salted butter
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 whole egg
250g/8oz self-raising flour
A pinch of salt
120ml/4 fl oz milk
175g/6oz mixed dried fruit – raisins, sultanas and finely chopped dates
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add the egg and beat until well-incorporated.
Lightly fold in the flour and salt with the milk and combine until just mixed.
Now stir in the fruit, making sure that it is evenly distributed.
Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. On a floured surface, roll out the scone mixture until it is one inch in depth.
Using a small biscuit cutter, cut the dough to form 12 scones.
Space the scones well apart on a baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
The base should be hollow-sounding when tapped. Cool slightly on a wire rack before eating.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
'Long Live the Nazis' spaghetti dish sold in Taiwan renamed after backlash
Common antibiotic linked to increased risk of heart disease
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 4 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...