Makes 12 scones
Sunday 17 May 2009
45g/2oz lightly salted butter
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 whole egg
250g/8oz self-raising flour
A pinch of salt
120ml/4 fl oz milk
175g/6oz mixed dried fruit – raisins, sultanas and finely chopped dates
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add the egg and beat until well-incorporated.
Lightly fold in the flour and salt with the milk and combine until just mixed.
Now stir in the fruit, making sure that it is evenly distributed.
Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. On a floured surface, roll out the scone mixture until it is one inch in depth.
Using a small biscuit cutter, cut the dough to form 12 scones.
Space the scones well apart on a baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
The base should be hollow-sounding when tapped. Cool slightly on a wire rack before eating.
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...