Makes 12 scones
Sunday 17 May 2009
45g/2oz lightly salted butter
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 whole egg
250g/8oz self-raising flour
A pinch of salt
120ml/4 fl oz milk
175g/6oz mixed dried fruit – raisins, sultanas and finely chopped dates
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add the egg and beat until well-incorporated.
Lightly fold in the flour and salt with the milk and combine until just mixed.
Now stir in the fruit, making sure that it is evenly distributed.
Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. On a floured surface, roll out the scone mixture until it is one inch in depth.
Using a small biscuit cutter, cut the dough to form 12 scones.
Space the scones well apart on a baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
The base should be hollow-sounding when tapped. Cool slightly on a wire rack before eating.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...