Game and turnip broth
I've used some deer shanks here but you could use any slow-cooking cut such as the neck or shoulder, or other game birds.
1 deer shank or other slow-cooking game cut, weighing about 600-800g
1 large onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
A couple of sprigs of thyme
3ltrs chicken or beef stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 medium-sized turnips, peeled and cut into rough 1cm dice or larger if you wish
2tbsp chopped parsley
Put the deer into a pressure cooker with the onion, thyme and stock, season lightly, bring up to pressure and cook for an hour. This should be enough time, depending on the cut – if it's not tender, continue cooking.
Once the meat is tender, remove the meat from the cooking liquid and leave to cool a little in a plate to catch any juices. Simmer the cooking liquor until it's nice and strong; then season to taste if necessary.
Cut the meat into chunks about the same size as the turnips and return to the cooking liquor with the turnips.
Simmer for about 6-8 minutes – until tender – then add the parsley and simmer for another minute; serve.
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: it's just gravity — not a Mexican demon being summoned
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...