Game and turnip broth
I've used some deer shanks here but you could use any slow-cooking cut such as the neck or shoulder, or other game birds.
1 deer shank or other slow-cooking game cut, weighing about 600-800g
1 large onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
A couple of sprigs of thyme
3ltrs chicken or beef stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 medium-sized turnips, peeled and cut into rough 1cm dice or larger if you wish
2tbsp chopped parsley
Put the deer into a pressure cooker with the onion, thyme and stock, season lightly, bring up to pressure and cook for an hour. This should be enough time, depending on the cut – if it's not tender, continue cooking.
Once the meat is tender, remove the meat from the cooking liquid and leave to cool a little in a plate to catch any juices. Simmer the cooking liquor until it's nice and strong; then season to taste if necessary.
Cut the meat into chunks about the same size as the turnips and return to the cooking liquor with the turnips.
Simmer for about 6-8 minutes – until tender – then add the parsley and simmer for another minute; serve.
Life & Style blogs
Britain's kitchens so filthy that they present a health risk, says new research
Fashion Revolution Day: wear your clothes inside out and ask #whomademyclothes to support worker welfare
The world's first edible garden of cake
KickassTorrents down: new Isle of Man domain taken offline just hours after launch
How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...