Game and turnip broth
I've used some deer shanks here but you could use any slow-cooking cut such as the neck or shoulder, or other game birds.
1 deer shank or other slow-cooking game cut, weighing about 600-800g
1 large onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
A couple of sprigs of thyme
3ltrs chicken or beef stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 medium-sized turnips, peeled and cut into rough 1cm dice or larger if you wish
2tbsp chopped parsley
Put the deer into a pressure cooker with the onion, thyme and stock, season lightly, bring up to pressure and cook for an hour. This should be enough time, depending on the cut – if it's not tender, continue cooking.
Once the meat is tender, remove the meat from the cooking liquid and leave to cool a little in a plate to catch any juices. Simmer the cooking liquor until it's nice and strong; then season to taste if necessary.
Cut the meat into chunks about the same size as the turnips and return to the cooking liquor with the turnips.
Simmer for about 6-8 minutes – until tender – then add the parsley and simmer for another minute; serve.
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
Surviving cancer: They were expected to die - yet these childhood-cancer patients knew nothing of their diagnosis
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave the show after a decade of crime-solving
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...