Syllabub is a quintessentially English dessert. When done well, its clean, light flavour makes a satisfying end to a meal. Very quick and easy to make, it is lovely served just on its own or perhaps with some little crumbly shortbread biscuits – or, at this time of year, with a little plate of sliced blood oranges.
200g/7oz caster sugar
200ml/7fl oz dry sherry
The finely grated zest and juice of one lemon
1tbsp of very finely chopped stem ginger
600ml/1 pint double cream
Combine the sugar, sherry, lemon zest and juice in a bowl and stir well. In another bowl, very lightly whip the cream – just enough to thicken it slightly. Gently fold the sherry mixture into the cream until just combined – the addition of the sherry and lemon juice will continue to thicken the cream. At this point, fold in the chopped ginger with a little syrup from the jar.
Spoon the syllabub into small glasses and refrigerate for an hour or so; just long enough to lightly chill before serving.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
Stair-climbing: A step change in keeping fit
China overtakes US with world's fastest supercomputer
Europe's largest TV now on sale - a 90-inch, £12,000 giant from Sharp
Persisted heartburn sufferers urged to visit doctor to rule out cancer
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...