Sunday 05 April 2009
This is best served in the afternoon with a well-earned cup of tea.
3 tbsp milk
11/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g/21/2oz ginger, preserved in syrup, chopped finely
120g/4oz dark brown sugar
120g/4oz unsalted butter
200ml/7fl oz treacle
200g/7oz plain flour
Heat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Start by warming the milk gently with the bicarbonate of soda.
When warm, remove from the stove and add the sultanas and ginger.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition.
Stir in the treacle, followed by the flour. Finish by stirring in the warmed milk and pour into a lined loaf tin.
Place in the oven for one to one-and-a-half hours. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...