Sunday 05 April 2009
This is best served in the afternoon with a well-earned cup of tea.
3 tbsp milk
11/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g/21/2oz ginger, preserved in syrup, chopped finely
120g/4oz dark brown sugar
120g/4oz unsalted butter
200ml/7fl oz treacle
200g/7oz plain flour
Heat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Start by warming the milk gently with the bicarbonate of soda.
When warm, remove from the stove and add the sultanas and ginger.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition.
Stir in the treacle, followed by the flour. Finish by stirring in the warmed milk and pour into a lined loaf tin.
Place in the oven for one to one-and-a-half hours. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Life & Style blogs
Android One handsets launch in India: £65 apiece with cricket scores baked in
Students in the south east of England gain the most weight in their first year
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
Bulletproof Coffee: is adding butter to your coffee a good way to start the day?
Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 3 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
- 4 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...