Sunday 05 April 2009
This is best served in the afternoon with a well-earned cup of tea.
3 tbsp milk
11/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g/21/2oz ginger, preserved in syrup, chopped finely
120g/4oz dark brown sugar
120g/4oz unsalted butter
200ml/7fl oz treacle
200g/7oz plain flour
Heat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Start by warming the milk gently with the bicarbonate of soda.
When warm, remove from the stove and add the sultanas and ginger.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition.
Stir in the treacle, followed by the flour. Finish by stirring in the warmed milk and pour into a lined loaf tin.
Place in the oven for one to one-and-a-half hours. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
iJobs Food & Drink
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...