Sunday 05 April 2009
This is best served in the afternoon with a well-earned cup of tea.
3 tbsp milk
11/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g/21/2oz ginger, preserved in syrup, chopped finely
120g/4oz dark brown sugar
120g/4oz unsalted butter
200ml/7fl oz treacle
200g/7oz plain flour
Heat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Start by warming the milk gently with the bicarbonate of soda.
When warm, remove from the stove and add the sultanas and ginger.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition.
Stir in the treacle, followed by the flour. Finish by stirring in the warmed milk and pour into a lined loaf tin.
Place in the oven for one to one-and-a-half hours. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Singer says the track was 'force-fed down people's throats'
Trend which requires crisps, a fork and a strong stomach is sweeping Mexico's streets
George Lucas criticises the major Hollywood film studios
Film follows park rangers in the Congo
Does Chris Grayling realise what a vague concept he is dealing with?
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 'catches on fire and burns man's leg after bending in his pocket'
Are you ready for Crazy Doritos, the red-hot snack food craze sweeping Mexico’s streets?
Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
What lies beneath La Perla's 60 years of luxury lingerie?
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...