Gingered rhubarb compote
Early season UK forced rhubarb has an affinity with ginger – with added sugar or honey you get an almost sweet and savoury flavour which in a compote like this makes a great accompaniment to ice-creams and sorbets, or simply with a spoonful of mascarpone or cream and a brandy snap biscuit (see overleaf).
300g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-2cm pieces
60g root ginger, peeled and grated
150g caster sugar
Ice-cream or mascarpone
Melt the sugar in a pan with 150ml water and the ginger, bring to the boil and simmer for a minute, then stir in the rhubarb, simmer for a minute then remove from the heat, cover and leave to cool, stirring every so often. Once cool, transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Serve with ice-cream or mascarpone and a brandy snap.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
The 10 Best new smartphones
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle, say health officials
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...