Grey mullet with chive buds
When silver mullet (as I like to call grey mullet) is at its best, its wonderful taste can be on a par with that of sea bass. You can of course use any fish for this dish and even the coloured skin of a red mullet would look great. You can serve this simply with the chive buds; or I've used a bit of the chive soup overleaf just finished off with a little butter.
4 fillets of grey mullet weighing about 180-200g, scaled and boned
A handful of chives (ideally with buds)
1tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Put the mullet in an ovenproof tray, season and add a little water. Cover with foil; cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a pan; cook the chives for 20 seconds or until they wilt. Place the fish on warmed plates, scatter the chives on top; spoon over a little more olive oil or serve with some of the chive soup as suggested.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 4 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...