Griddled chicken livers with freekeh salad
Saturday 29 January 2011
120g freekeh, soaked for 4 hours
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2tbsp olive oil
1tsp cumin seeds
¼tsp ground cinnamon
¼tsp ground allspice
2tbsp raisins, soaked in boiling waterfor 1 hour
250ml vegetable or chicken stock
2tbsp chopped parsley
2tbsp chopped coriander
2tbsp flaked almonds, lightly toasted
250g fresh chicken livers, cleaned
4 wooden or metal skewers
A little vegetable oil for brushing
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Gently cook the red onion in the olive oil with the spices for about 2-3 minutes, stirring every so often until soft. Add the drained freekeh, raisins and vegetable stock, season, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes on a very low heat (a simmer plate helps), giving the occasional stir.
The stock should all be absorbed by now and the freekeh tender; if not, leave it on the heat for a few more minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Once cool, stir in the herbs and almonds and re-season if necessary.
Meanwhile, cut the chicken livers into even-sized chunks and thread them on to skewers. Preheat a ribbed griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan and lightly oil it. Season the chicken livers and dust with sumac then grill for a couple of minutes on each side, keeping them pink. To serve, just spoon the freekeh on to serving plates and serve the livers on top, either on or off the skewers.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...