Grilled red onions with mirin and soy
Saturday 14 June 2008
Something as simple as an onion can be transformed when cooked over open flames.
4 large red onions, peeled, cut into 1cm-thick slices
2tbsp mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
4tbsp sweet soy
1tbsp ponzu (Japanese, citrus-based sauce)
Cook the onion slices for about 7-8 minutes on each side on the medium heat of the barbecue. Meanwhile mix the mirin, sweet soy and ponzu together. Arrange the onions on a serving dish and spoon over the sauce. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...