Hedgerow garlic and Asian mushroom brik
I'm a big fan of brik à l'oeuf, which is the crisp North African pancake made with warka pastry with a soft egg inside. I occasionally play around with this simple classic and this one works as a breakfast dish or a starter or snack.
4 sheets of feuille de brik or warka pastry
100-120g fresh shiitake, sliced, or a mix of fresh Asian mushrooms
2 spring onions, cleaned and thinly sliced
A few leaves of wild or hedgerow garlic, chopped
2tbsp chopped coriander
4 medium eggs, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A couple of tablespoons of vegetable or corn oil for frying
Heat a frying pan with a little vegetable oil and cook the mushrooms for a minute or so on a low heat, then add the spring onions, wild garlic and coriander and cook for another 30 seconds; season and stir in the eggs to give them a little heat, but not actually cook them, then transfer the mixture into a bowl.
To serve, heat a large, preferably non-stick frying pan on a medium heat, lay a sheet of the pastry in the pan, spoon a quarter of the mix in the centre and fold it in half immediately. Fry for a minute or so until crisp then flip it over and crisp up the other side. Serve them as soon as possible so they stay hot and crisp.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...