Hot potato, smoked haddock and spring onion salad
This combination of warm potatoes and haddock makes a great starter (or even a brunch dish with a poached egg on top).
2 medium shallots, peeled and finely chopped
100ml chicken or vegetable stock
30ml white wine vinegar
500g large new potatoes, peeled, cooked and sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1tbsp parsley, finely chopped
30-40ml olive or rapeseed oil
4 spring onions, trimmed, washed and finely chopped
20-300g natural smoked haddock
Milk for poaching
Put the shallots, two-thirds of the stock and the white wine vinegar in a saucepan and bring to the boil and simmer until almost completely reduced.
Add the sliced potatoes and the rest of the stock, stir well, cover and cook gently over a low heat for another 4-5 minutes, giving the occasional stir. The liquid should have almost disappeared and the potatoes should be falling apart a little.
Stir in the olive or rapeseed oil and the parsley and replace the lid to keep warm.
Meanwhile, bring the milk to the boil, add a little salt and poach the haddock for about five minutes, then remove from the milk, leave to cool a little and remove the skin.
Spoon the warm potatoes on to serving plates and flake the haddock over the top. Garnish with the spring onions.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
iJobs Food & Drink
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...
£30K- £35K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...